~ Author unknown
PROACTIVE/INTEGRATED TRAINING FOR BUSY DOG OWNERS
IS YOUR DOG TRAINING YOU? Dogs, as you may have observed, are EXPERT HUMAN TRAINERS! They can easily manipulate us into complying with their “suggestions” and “attention demands” through their everyday interactions with us simply by taking full advantage of their cute furry exteriors and their adorable tail-wagging posteriors! As good leaders, it is our job to turn this around to OUR advantage, thereby creating more balanced and healthier relationships.
Whether dog owners realize it or not, every time they interact with their dogs they are teaching them something and influencing future behavior. PROACTIVE/INTEGRATED TRAINING minimizes formal training time while reinforcing more appropriate behaviors. By integrating everyday real-life training into your daily interactions, your dog will find training far more RELEVANT, thereby speeding the process! Real-life rewards can be, overall, more influencing than food rewards. Your dog wants many things throughout his day other than food, which could include play, toys, going on walks, tummy rubs, being released to play in the yard, and, of course, your positive praise and attention for positive behavior. Recognizing what your dog likes and what he wants “in the moment” can be highly motivating and reinforcing in making lasting impressions. Food rewards are often needed in training, but don’t forget how potent real-life rewards can be, and in most cases are more practical to provide as a benevolent fun-loving leader! Proactive training is managing your dog or environment in preventing inappropriate behavior from occurring before it begins! See “Training Topics/Examples in Training.”
PRACTICE ALWAYS MAKES “BETTER”. The easiest way to keep your dog proficient in practicing his newly acquired obedience skills and preventing unwanted behavior is through your daily activities. You can practice while on walks, while feeding your dog, cooking dinner or watching TV. I can help you find practical, time-saving ways that will maintain your dog’s good manners!
BENEFITS OF PROACTIVE/INTEGRATED TRAINING
- Saves you time by integrating your daily interactions with your dog into shaping the behaviors you want
- Establishes your leadership by controlling what your dog wants while teaching basic foundation skills/commands through constancy!
- Breaks the cycle of unacceptable behaviors by managing your dog or environment to prevent behaviors from being “practiced to perfection”
- Creates a more polite dog and Canine Good Citizen by teaching impulse control—a more mature attitude
- Incorporates temperament training to circumvent more serious behavioral issues, with regard to children as well